Helen is an Accredited Mental Health Social Worker who holds a Master of Advanced Social Work from the University of Melbourne and a Bachelor degree in Social Work from Deakin University. Helen is also registered with the Australian Association of Social Workers.
Past work includes over 14 years of clinical and program experience across Australia and the UK. Areas of specialization cover Physical Health and Disability, Older People, Veterans, Men, Carers, Family Violence, Women, Elder Abuse, Adjustment and Transitions, Abuse, Work Stress and Bereavement.
Prior to previously led Drug and Alcohol, Gamblers Help and Cancer and Chronic Illness specialist teams, Helen also led larger crisis intervention teams for adults which included a separate focus for Carers. Experience in physical and mental health has included community, rehabilitation and hospital settings, including palliative care and end of life care planning. This includes work with carers.
Helen has a keen interest in the effects of ill health on overall wellbeing. This includes building resilience within individuals in order to experience better outcomes during and/or following particularly challenging times. This is informed by a well grounded knowledge in the social determinants of health and how our experiences can influence our potential to lead healthy and nourished lives.
Helen implements focused psychological strategies which include Information provision and support to better understand and cope with health and social challenges, Intrapersonal skills, Cognitive Behavioural therapy, Anxiety/Anger/Stress management, Interpersonal Therapy, Interpersonal Skill Development and Motivational Interviewing.
Medicare rebates are available with a Mental Health Care Plan from your GP.
Area of Focus
- Alcohol and other drugs addictions (AOD)
- Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Behaviour Problems
- Career and Vocational Planning
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing
- Employee Assistance Program
- Gambling addiction
- General Counselling
- Grief and Loss
- Health counselling
- Intellectual Disabilities
- Learning Disabilities
- Life Transition and Adjustment Issues
- Men's Issues
- Mental Illness
- Physical Abuse
- Relaxation training
- Self-Esteem and Self-Development
- Terminal Illness
- Victim of Crime
- Women's Issues
- Workplace Bullying
- Workplace Issues
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Narrative Therapy
- Time-Limited Therapy
- Older adults
- People with disabilities
- Culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- Master of Advanced Social Work (Higher Degree with research component on counselling), Bachelor of Social Work
- Accredited Mental Health Social Worker and member of the Australian Association of Social Workers.
- Victorian Drug and Alcohol Core Competencies
- Certificate IV in Disability