Gissia Castelnoble is a registered Psychologist (Master of Psychology in Education and Development) and Counsellor for Mental Health issues (Diploma of Counselling Australian College of Applied Psychology). She is a Member of both the Australian Psychology Society (APS) and the Specialist College of Educational and Developmental psychologists (CEDP).
Gissia provides psychological and educational assessments, cognitive and behavioural interventions and counselling for children (ages 3+), adolescents and their families. Gissia has also extensive experience in liaising with schools, developing management plans for students with disabilities and challenging behaviours (home and school based interventions) and supporting students with educational needs via behavioural modification and study skills.
Gissia’s therapeutic approach is multidisciplinary and follows the framework and philosophy of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Emotional Release Therapy (including play therapy) Mindfulness and Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT), Dialectical Behavioural Therapy and Solution Focused Therapy.
As a Developmental Psychologist, Gissia has a particular interest in treating childhood disorders and developmental issues throughout the life span.
Areas of specialisation and services provided involve:
• Psychological and Educational Assessments and Interventions for children and adolescents with intellectual disabilities, learning disabilities and emotional problems and developmental disorders including Autism and ADHD.
• Early intervention for children with intellectual and learning disabilities, separation anxiety, toileting issues, social difficulties, oppositional behaviours and transition to school.
• Counselling for children and adolescents with problems in the areas of emotional regulation, bullying, school refusal and mental health issues (Anxiety and depression disorders, behavioural problems, self-harming behaviours, bipolar and mood disorders).
• Management of learning difficulties via study skills and mentoring.
• Anxiety, Phobias, OCD and Depression Management for adults.
• Assessment and task modification for employees with special needs.
• Consultation for workplace adjustment for workers with disabilities.
With over a decade of expertise, Gissia has previously worked with A.D.R.A as specialised assistant for the development of “The Getting Connected” program for building resilience in school children. She has also developed a Resilience programme for the N.S.W Parents Council. She has worked with CentreCare to support workers with disabilities and has completed her professional practise at Rivendell Child, Adolescent and Family Unit, Concord West N.S.W.
Area of Focus
- Anger Management
- Anxiety and phobias
- Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Behaviour Problems
- Child Psychology
- Coping with disability
- Developmental disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family Therapy
- General Counselling
- Grief and Loss
- Intellectual Assessments
- Intellectual Disabilities
- Learning Difficulties
- Learning Disabilities
- B.A. (Psych), Dip. Child, Dip Couns, M. Ed. & Dev., MAPS